Knit. all. the. things! #2

As promised, I'll tell you about the other thing on my needles.

Knowing that I may very well regret telling you this later on, I'll share it with you anyway, because if I didn't, I'd
a) have nothing to tell you for a very long time and that's no fun when blogging.
b) not be staying true to my intention of showing you the ups and downs of my journey as a knitter and designer.

Sitting and knitting on the aforementioned socks, talk fell on my patterns and my man said "maybe it's time for you to work on a small collection to publish". I had been toying with the idea of making an ebook of sorts about knitting, but honestly hadn't thought of designing a collection. We started brainstorming and by that I mean, I bombarded my man with ideas and he nodded and said encouraging things at all the right times.


Thus it came to be that I grabbed some wool and cast on for the second time on the same day! The collection will be themed around beaches on the island. Each piece will be named after one. This second piece will be a shawl inspired by the sea in motion. I'm praying I have enough yarn to finish it.

This knit makes the count of designs pending publishing 5. Two are being test knit at the moment and the other three are the socks, the vest and this shawl.


Should the collection fall to pieces, I'll still have the those, i.e. the patterns I do finish, to publish individually, so I can't really see a downside to trying. I'm envisioning a stunning booklet with pictures from the island interspersed with the patterns. Maybe 5 patterns (which would double the amount of published patterns I have as of this moment). What do you think?

12 comments:

  1. I think it sounds like a great idea. Lovely photos always help sell patterns. You also can't go wrong with a Kauni shawl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, Kauni really is wonderful for shawls. This one will hopefully wrap you like the waves of the ocean, only keep you warm and dry...

      Delete
  2. I think it's a great idea! I can't wait to see your process develop and the reveals along the way.

    I've been contemplating an e-book of designs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! we can be ebook buddies, I would love to have someone going trough the same struggles for the first time with me :)

      Delete
    2. I will! It's much easier when you're not alone in the struggles. I'd love to be ebook buddies,

      I have two ebook ideas. I need to decide which one to start with.

      Delete
    3. Email me and we can keep the conversation going!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fun challenge. You can do it and I look forward to seeing it come to life! I was in a yarn shop today and saw some beautiful beachy hues by ShuiBui and it took me straight to the coast. Also, I fully support the "knit all the things" attitude...just be careful it's contagious!!! I've got it bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I will. I wish I could go to a few stores and find yarn that takes me straight to the coast as well, but for now, I'm knitting out of stash. I have yarn for at least one more pattern in the collection, but the idea has yet to surface...

      btw. are you having troubles commenting? because I've gotten 3 (almost) identical comments from you on the last couple of posts... I love your comments and don't want it to be inconvenient to leave them :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should definitely do it. But it would be great to offer the patterns separately too in case that works better for some people. (I've come across many patterns that were available only in a collection that I couldn't afford to buy. I didn't care for half of them anyway, but even some of the ones I did like, I didn't really have a use for.) So I would certainly suggest keeping it open that way. :) You can always share your ups and downs. There's nothing wrong with that at all! I'd like to know as well because I've not ventured into pattern writing yet. So it's very helpful to know things. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great advice and was actually the plan all along. I'm thinking of making the collection the price of the patterns minus one, so there is a reason to get them all if you like them, then offer each pattern as well individually. I've had the same experience. Often one pattern really speaks to me and the rest not so much, I can't justify all the money for just one pattern I want to make.

      Delete