The revenge of the mystery yarn.

It had to happen, right?! You simply cannot knit with a mystery yarn and expect things to work out easily, can you? I guess what I'm about to tell you is another thing in the cons column of the designing and making do pros and cons list I have in my head...

I hinted at this in my micro business update and if you are on Instagram you may already know what the debacle is all about.  If not, then let me enlighten you. As they say, a picture speaks more than a thousand words...


One is not like the other, sigh. I have 3 balls of this yarn. Placed right next to each other they look the same. However, this is just their cunning disguise, so that they can make you feel all secure and happy, before they show their true colour and make you miserable! 

None of the 3 balls are the same. One is greener than the other. I started out knitting with the ball, that is the least green and more blueish. They also appear to not be spun quite the same. This and the presence of a good amount of lanolin, now makes me question if this was ever a commercial yarn to begin with...

As I viewed it, I had 4 choices:
1) Rip out everything and alternate the balls.   -   Never going to happen...
2) Be mad and never touch it again.                 -   Nope, I want to publish this design
3) Carry on, hoping you will never notice.       -  Not part of my design philosophy 
4) Tell you all about my misery and failure.     -  Now that sounds more like it, right?!

I decided a couple of months ago, that I would share the ups and downs of being a budding designer, because it was something I myself needed to hear about. All is not a dance on roses when it comes to life, knitting and designing is no exception to that. 

I leave you today with a close up of the difference in the garment. I'm still undecided as too if it needs to be overdyed or if it is fine. I can clearly see the difference when I stare at it up close, but at arm's length???   
What do you think?




6 comments:

  1. To be honest I don't see much of a difference once it is knit up, and I can imagine that especially at arms length it might not be noticeable at all. However I would probably be bothered about it as well, so maybe dying over all 3 of the balls isn't such a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't either. If it really bothers me I'll overdye the finished garment. I am not frogging this again if it can be avoided ;)

      Delete
  2. This has happened to me before, too- I don't know anyone who has been knitting for a while that hasn't had this happen! I feel for you, I do- especially with a design! ouch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. It does help to know that I'm not alone.

      Delete
  3. I can't really notice in the picture. This has happened to me too and it made the finished garment look like a deliberate (i thought) colour change design. Makes it more unique in any case :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you had such a positive experience with it. hopefully I will too. And you sure are right about it being unique.

      Delete